John Parke


Family Links


John Parke 2

  • Marriage: Mary
  • Died: 17 Jan 1709-1710

bullet  General Notes:

Notes from:

It is not known where John Park was born, nor who were his parents.
Some sources have tried to link John Park to Daniel Parke, buried in
Bruton Parish Church in Williamsburg. While Daniel Parke, and especially
his son Daniel Parke, Junior were very interesting characters, dates rule
out Daniel Parke as being the father of John. It is, however, very likely
that there was a relationship between the two families, as a land grant
of Daniel Parke bordered the property of John Parke, in New Kent County,
John Park was first listed in St. Peter's Parish records in 1684, and
again in 1686 as a member of the vestry. On 5 October 1687 he was
listed as John Park, Sr., so a distinction was being made between his son
John Park, Jr. On 5 October 1695 he was listed as church warden. After
1704 John Parke did not appear as a member of the vestry, so evidently
his health had deteriorated, so that he could not perform the duties of a
member of the vestry.
On 28 February 1689, the New Kent County Court ordered each vestry to
put forth their parishes into precincts and to appoint a time for
processioning and "Remarking ye: bounds of Each mans Land" On 4 May
1689 the vestrymen of St. Peter's Parish set their precincts and ordered
the processions "goe" between May 10 and June 10 next. On that date the
vestry convened with only seven of its members. These seven ordered
that David Cranford, John Parks, Will Pasley, and George Smith "doe show
a just Reason for theire not apearing at this Prsent vestry otherwise to
be "fined" a certain amount of tobacco in casks. As members of the
vestry were men of prominence, and large land owners, it can be safely
assumed that John Parks was one of distinction.
In the processioning orders, it was customary to list together, men who
owned land adjacent to each other. In the listing Mr: Jno: Roper Senr:, was
followed by Mr: Wm: Bassett Jnr:, Mrs: Eliz: Littpage, Wm: Harman &
Edmund Bedford, Nich Cox, Jno: Parks Junr:, Mrs: Pierce, Mr: Conding, Mr.
Poindexter senr: etc. These persons were listed on page 10 of the Vestry
Book. On page 11 were listed Jno: Parks Senr: listed close to Nick Lossen,
Tho: Renalls, Jno: Lydd__ and Tho: Wilkinson.
John Parke owned 200 acres of land in New Kent County in 1704. John
Parke Senr departed this life 17 Jan 1709-10. His widow Mary Parke died
9ber ye 17th, 1714.

References: The basis for this information on the Park family was Early Virginia Families Along the James River compiled by Louise Pledge Heath Folly - 1980
Virginia Historical Quarterly, volume 35, p. 25.
Virginia Quit Rent Rolls, New Kent County.
2 William and Mary Quarterly volume 1, pl 207.


John married Mary. (Mary died on 17 Sep 1714.)

Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This Web Site was Created 3 Jul 2010 with Legacy 5.0 from Millennia